Congressman Hank Johnson (GA-04) says the Republicans ‘Pay More For Less’ repeal bill, also known as Trumpcare, would be disastrous, leaving millions of Americans without healthcare coverage.
“After all of the Republicans’ hollow promises, the cruel reality of their wretched ‘Pay More For Less’ bill has been exposed for all to see,” said Rep. Johnson. “Trumpcare will result in millions of hard-working families losing their coverage. Trump Care also reduces access to affordable healthcare by defunding Planned Parenthood, which will make it more difficult for women, expectant mothers and children to have their healthcare needs met. To make matters worse, Trump Care gives millionaires and billionaires a deficit-busting tax break, while kicking 24 million Americans off their health care. Rather than finding meaningful solutions, this plan will instead result in less coverage, fewer protections and higher costs for all consumers.”
“The CBO report exposes Trump Care for what it really is: an abandonment of working families. The fact is, a lot of people are going to see their health and their pocketbooks suffer under this disastrous plan,” continued Johnson. “Georgia families will be devastated if Republicans get their way, and I will oppose changes to the Affordable Care Act that reduce its ability to provide affordable and accessible health care to the millions of Americans across the county who now benefit from it.”
Johnson remarks followed the release of the Congressional Budget Office’s(CBO) report this week detailing the consequences of the GOP plan.
“Since the passage of the Affordable Care Act, the number of people without health insurance has dropped significantly, but Republicans have been more interested in fulfilling their campaign pledge to repeal and replace “Obama Care,” rather than fine-tuning the existing law so that it better serves Americans,” said Johnson. “Moreover, Trump Care eliminates Medicaid expansion, strips millions of Americans of their coverage, and shifts an estimated $370 million in Medicaid costs to the states. Medicaid coverage is especially critical for the elderly and their families. Trumpcare is a prescription for making millions of Americans pay more for less.”
Key Findings of the CBO Report
- 24 million Americans will lose their health coverage – including 14 million in 2018 alone
- Under the GOP bill, 19 percent of the nonelderly population will be uninsured in 2026, compared to 10 percent in 2026 under current law.
- The bill would have the effect of slashing Medicaid by $880 billion over the next 10 years.
- Under the GOP bill, a 64-year-old with an income of $26,500 in the individual market will pay $12,900 more in their premiums each year.
- By defunding Planned Parenthood for one year, the bill would have the result of many women losing access to care, including contraceptives and other family planning services.
- The bill gives $600 billion in tax cuts to the wealthy