Commissioner Mereda Davis Johnson and Decatur Mayor Patti Garrett
DeKalb County District 5 Commissioner Mereda Davis Johnson and Decatur Mayor Patti Garrett signed a joint declaration on Aug. 21 forming the John Lewis Commemorative Task Force.
The task force will have six months to make a recommendation as to the best way to commemorate the life of the late Congressman Lewis in DeKalb County. The task force will hold its first meeting on Aug. 26.
“John was a giant of a man, with a humble heart. He met no strangers and he truly was a man who loved the people and who loved his country, which he represented very well. He deserves this honor,” Commissioner Davis Johnson said.
“What an honor it was to join Commissioner Mereda Davis Johnson to sign the declaration establishing the John Lewis Commemorative Task Force,” Mayor Garrett said. “John Lewis was an inspiration and voice of hope for all and his legacy lives on to instill a vigilant expectant hope to this generation of young advocates of good trouble.”
Members were appointed by Commissioner Davis Johnson, Mayor Garrett and Commissioner Steve Bradshaw, presiding officer of DeKalb County Board of Commissioners.
The members, who represent a diverse intersection of various sectors of the county, include:
- Commissioner Mereda Davis Johnson, ex officio
- DeKalb County Commissioner Jeff Rader, ex officio
- DeKalb County Commissioner Steve Bradshaw, ex officio
- Decatur Mayor Patti Garrett
- Attorney Juanita Powell Baranco
- Former DeKalb County CEO Burrell Ellis
- Decatur Commissioner George Dusenbury
- Former DeKalb County Commissioner Gail Waldorff
- Mrs. Heather Fenton
- Attorney Brian Werthiem
- Ms. Audrey Maloof
- Ms. Teresa Hardy
- Mr. Eric Ellis
- Avondale Estates Mayor Jonathan Elmore
- Attorney Mawuli Davis
- Rev. Dr. Emory Berry
- Ms. Jan Selman
- Dr. Thomas L. Coleman
- Dr. Ed. Lee III
- Mrs. Karima Jones
- Ms. Melissa Carlson Forgey
- Dr. Sharon Hill
- Mr. William Cook
- Ms. Sherry King