DEKALB COUNTY, GA.— On Saturday, Dec. 17, DeKalb County Government is partnering with local faith leaders to celebrate the 2022 holiday season by distributing 5,000 boxes of food.
“The rising cost of groceries will make it more difficult for families to put food on their tables during this holiday season,” said DeKalb County CEO Michael Thurmond. “DeKalb County Government and our faith leaders are grateful for the opportunity to help provide some holiday joy to hardworking families.”
Along with a 10-pound bag of chicken hindquarters, residents will receive one 20-pound box of food that will include fruits, vegetables and a dozen eggs. Additionally, residents will receive cookies, fruit juice boxes, cereal and candy canes.
Beginning at 9 a.m., rain or shine, 5,000 boxes of food will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis, at the following drive-through locations:
- New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, 6400 Woodrow Rd., Stonecrest, GA 30038
- Beulah Missionary Baptist Church, 2340 Clifton Springs Rd., Decatur, GA 30034
- Shy Temple CME Church, 2030 Wesley Chapel Road, Decatur, GA 30035
- Big Miller Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 3800 Big Miller Grove Way, Stonecrest, GA 30038
- Berean Christian Church, 2201 Young Road, Stone Mountain, GA 30088
- Rehoboth Baptist Church, 2997 Lawrenceville Hwy., Tucker, GA 30084
- The Covenant Church, 1700 Corey Blvd., Decatur, GA 30032
- Saint Phillip AME, 240 Candler Rd. SE, Atlanta, GA 30317
Since May 2020, DeKalb County has provided fruit, vegetables, and protein more than 100,000 boxes of food to families.
The county is utilizing federal American Rescue Plan funds to purchase the food.