DECATUR, GA—DeKalb Voter Registration and Elections (VRE) is reminding voters that absentee ballots can be requested beginning Monday, Aug. 16, for the November General Election.
To request an absentee ballot, DeKalb voters must complete an absentee ballot application, which is available online at DeKalbVotes.com under the Absentee Information tab.
Since the passage of Georgia State Bill 202, DeKalb VRE has worked to educate voters of key changes that may impact how they cast their ballots, said DeKalb Elections Director Erica Hamilton.
“We want to strongly encourage voters to understand the changes this election cycle and be prepared by having the proper identification required to request an absentee ballot,” Hamilton said. “We are mailing 47,000 letters to elderly and disabled rollover voters to make them aware of the changes regarding the new absentee ballot request process. In the coming weeks, we will continue to educate voters on changes to early voting locations and more that is required under SB 202.”
A change from the 2020 election period, absentee ballots can be requested no earlier than 78 days and no later than 11 days prior to an election.
Absentee ballots can be returned in person or by mail to DeKalb VRE at 4380 Memorial Drive, Suite 300, Decatur, via fax at 404-298-4038 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, visit DeKalbVotes.com or call 404-298-4020 or 1-866-DEK-VOTES.
Key Voter Reminders:
- Voters should complete the absentee ballot application and return to DeKalb VRE by mail, fax or email (as attachment)
- The state of Georgia allows absentee voting by mail and in person
- No excuse is required to vote before election day.
- Absentee ballots can be requested no earlier than 78 days and no later than 11 days prior to an election
- The 2021 absentee ballot application requires voter to include a driver’s license number, state identification card number or a photocopy of an acceptable identification.
- Any valid state or federal government issued photo ID, including a free ID card issued by your county registrar’s office or the Georgia Department of Driver Services
- A Georgia driver’s license, even if expired
- Valid employee photo ID from any branch, department, agency, or entity of the U.S. Government, Georgia, or any county, municipality, board, authority or other entity of this state
- Valid U.S. passport ID
- Valid U.S. military photo ID
- Valid tribal photo ID
Obtain a Georgia Identification Card
If you do not have one of the six acceptable forms of photo ID, the state of Georgia and DeKalb VRE offer free ID cards. To receive a voter identification card, voters are encouraged to come by DeKalb VRE offices at 4380 Memorial Dr. Suite 300, Decatur, and must provide:
- A photo identity document or approved non-photo identity document that includes full legal name and date of birth
- Documentation showing the voter’s date of birth
- Evidence that the applicant is a registered voter
- Documentation showing the applicant’s name and residential address