Five outstanding students invested in community service in Rockdale County are finalists for the Rockdale Coalition for Children and Families’ 2018 John K. Morgan Scholarship.
This is the eighth year the Rockdale Coalition has offered the $4,000 scholarship for a student who has demonstrated outstanding community service in Rockdale County and plans to continue that level of commitment while pursuing post-secondary education. The scholarship is named for John K. Morgan, former president and chief executive officer of Acuity Brands Lighting and community advocate.
Since the inception of the John K. Morgan Scholarship, more than $45,500 has been awarded to deserving students in Conyers and Rockdale County. Finalists for the 2018 John K. Morgan Scholarship include: Amber Boles (Rockdale Magnet School for Science and Technology), Faith Buchanan (Rockdale Magnet School for Science and Technology), David Duncan (Rockdale County High School), Charles Hardnett (Rockdale Magnet School for Science and Technology) and Annalesia Law (Rockdale County High School).
A new component of the scholarship competition this year is that the Rockdale Coalition has partnered with the Rotary Club of Rockdale County to present a $1,000 community service scholarship to one of the finalists.
“The Coalition’s mission coupled with Rotary’s ‘service above self’ motto made it a natural fit to partner and offer scholarships to this talented group of students,” said Director of Rockdale Coalition for Children and Families Michael Hutcheson. “We were once again overwhelmed by the talent and commitment these students have shown throughout their careers by giving so much of their time and talents to help others in need.”
Highlights of community service demonstrated by the five finalists include:
- Amber Boles counts the Hearts for Hunger Games food drive she spearheaded benefitting Rockdale Emergency Relief and the Special Needs Prom as her most meaningful areas of service.
- Faith Buchanan cites her volunteerism with Southside Christian Fellowship’s Vacation Bible School, Women on the Way to Success (WOWS) service club and mentoring students in the STEAM Summer Camp as motivation for community service.
- David Duncan’s volunteerism through organizations like Phoenix Pass, Jasmine House Foundation, Inc. and Lithonia Animal Hospital, help him share his passion for helping others.
- Charles Hardnett’s many interests have allowed him to use his talents by giving back to organizations like the Covington-Conyers Community Orchestra, volunteering as an instructor at UMAS Karate and serving as a peer mentor at Rockdale Magnet School.
- Annalesia Law is passionate about serving others through the Atlanta Ronald McDonald House Charities, and making and delivering baked goods annually for local law enforcement agencies as a show of appreciation.
The scholarship winners will be announced at the Rockdale Coalition for Children and Families Annual Awards Reception at the Rockdale Career Academy at 6 p.m. on Thursday, March 22. The event is open to the public and tickets are available at the Rockdale Coalition office for $20.00. Tickets may also be purchased online at http://www.rockdalecoalition.org/awards/. The event includes food catered by students in the Rockdale Career Academy culinary arts program and recognition of the scholarship finalists.
The 2018 recipient of the F. William Hughey Community Service Award will be presented to Dr. Doreen Williams. The award is presented annually to a person who has demonstrated outstanding community service in Rockdale County. A resident of the county for more than 20 years, Dr. Williams is a commissioner serving on the Rockdale County Board of Commissioners, a retired educator and advocate for the residents of Rockdale County. Jennifer Wilds of View Point Health nominated Dr. Williams for her active role on the View Point Health Board of Directors, as well as the community conversations on mental health she has helped plan to engage various members and agencies throughout the community. A $500 cash donation will be given to the local community service organization of Dr. Williams’ choice.
For more information or tickets to the Rockdale Coalition for Children and Families Annual Awards Reception, call 770-761-9244 or email Michael Hutcheson at firstname.lastname@example.org.