A small fire broke out at Rockdale County’s Hightower Trail Elementary School over the Spring Break, but fire officials said students will not be impacted. Classes will resume on Monday as scheduled.
Fire Chief Dan Morgan said firefighters quickly extinguished the fire after an alarm went off. Morgan said a piece of equipment that was plugged into an electrical outlet malfunctioned. No one was in the building at the time of the April 5 incident because students were on Spring break.
A statement released by the Rockdale Public School System said in part:
“…We are thankful no one was injured in this incident and appreciate the quick response of our firefighters. Fortunately, classrooms were not affected and the damage was limited to an area in the front office. The safety of our students and staff is our top priority and the affected area will be repaired in time for the return of students and staff. School will open Monday morning as scheduled.”